Coinciding with Pope Francis’s visit to the country, traditionalist Old Roman bishop, ✠Jerome Lloyd will also be visiting Slovakia to celebrate minor and major ordinations.
The ordination ceremonies will take place on the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross and Saturday in Embertide. The Pontifical Masses will be held in the Chapel of St. Ladislav of the historic Primatial Palace.
The Primate’s Palace (Slovak: Primaciálny palác) is a neoclassical palace in the Old Town of Bratislava the capital of Slovakia. It was built from 1778 to 1781 for Archbishop József Batthyány, after the design of architect Melchior Hefele. In 1805, the Palace’s Hall of Mirrors saw the signing of the fourth Peace of Pressburg, ending the War of the Third Coalition. Today, it serves as the seat of Mayor of Bratislava.
The palace also contains a rare collection of English tapestries from the 17th century. They were produced at the royal tapestry works in the English town of Mortlake, but were only rediscovered during a reconstruction in 1903, and are undoubtedly worth a visit. The exquisite fountain of St George, depicting the legendary knight slaying the dragon, stands in the square inner courtyard of the Primate’s Palace. According to one legend the figure of St George represents the archbishop, and his fight with the dragon symbolises the efforts of the Catholic Church to banish the Reformation from the city. Legend has it that St George saved the virgin Dubravka from the dragon, and as a reward gained her hand in marriage. Each year, on St George’s Day, the stone statue is suppose to come to life, turn around on his horse and bow to the inhabitants of the city.
During the visit his excellency will also make pilgrimage to a Marian shrine, and give conferences for the faithful interested in Tradition. This will be the first time in over half a century for the traditional pontifical liturgies to be offered publicly in the country and ordinations to be celebrated according to the Tridentine ceremonies.