Royal Family remember Prince Philip’s ‘huge presence’ in trailer for documentary celebrating Duke’s legacy 

Prince Charles, Prince William, Prince Harry and Zara Tindall have appeared in a trailer for BBC’s Prince Philip: The Royal Family Remembers

Royal Family remember Prince Philip’s ‘huge presence’ in trailer for documentary celebrating Duke’s legacy 

Members of the Royal Family have paid emotional tribute to the late Duke of Edinburgh, describing him as a “huge presence” who was “unapologetically him”.

The Prince of Wales, Duke of Cambridge, Duke of Sussex and Zara Tindall have appeared in a trailer for a special television programme celebrating the legacy of the Duke, who died in April aged 99.

Tributes from Prince William and Prince Harry were filmed separately, underlining their new living arrangements and status, with all four shown in front of screens rather than in their homes or palaces.

With footage of the Duke enjoying himself at Balmoral, on a rowing boat, and racing round the garden with his children, Mrs Tindall appeared tearful as she said: “You could never really prepare yourself for losing him because he was always there.”

The Prince of Wales, Prince Philip’s eldest son, said: “We were lucky to have him for nearly 100 years.”

The Duke of Cambridge, who has vowed to “support the Queen in the years ahead” after the death of her beloved husband, said: “He’s always been a huge presence behind everything we’ve done really.”

The Duke of Sussex, who now lives in California, said: “What you see is what you got with my grandfather. He was unapologetically him.”

The Duke of Sussex in the trailer for the tribute programme 
The Duke of Sussex in the trailer for the tribute programme 

Prince Harry had taken over the role of Captain General Royal Marines from his grandfather in 2017, but left it behind after stepping down from official royal duties to forge a new life with his own family.

The brothers have previously appeared on screen together for joint interviews for tribute programmes, including Prince Charles at 70, but have also regularly filmed separately.

This time, programme-makers appear to have opted for continuity, eschewing the backgrounds of royal palaces or Californian mansions in favour of a simple grey screen filmed in close-up for Prince Charles and William, and zoomed out for Prince Harry. 

Prince Philip: The Royal Family Remembers will air later this month on BBC One and will include interviews filmed both before and after Philip’s death in April aged 99.

More than a dozen members of the Royal Family have taken part, including all of the Queen children – the Prince of Wales, the Princess Royal, the Duke of York and the Earl of Wessex – and their grandchildren: the Dukes of Cambridge and Sussex, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, Peter Phillips, Zara Tindall and Lady Louise Windsor.

The Queen and late Prince Philip picture in the programme with their grandchildren 
The Queen and late Prince Philip in a picture featured in the documentary with their grandchildren 

The Queen has not been interviewed for the programme but granted special access to her private cine-film collection.

The Duchess of Cambridge and Duchess of Sussex, along with other royal spouses, will not appear.

Prince Andrew, who will appear in the programme, was not included in the trailer.

Programme-makers went inside Buckingham Palace to meet the Duke’s long-serving staff and to capture his study, private office and library as they were during his seven decades of public service.

Prince Philip: The Royal Family Remembers will air later this month on BBC One
Prince Philip: The Royal Family Remembers will air later this month on BBC One

The documentary, which will air on Wednesday September 22 at 9pm on BBC One, was originally conceived to mark the Duke’s 100th birthday in June, but the nation’s longest-serving consort died two months before his centenary.

One video shows Philip riding bicycles with his children as the Queen runs behind them and another shows him drinking from a trophy and laughing.

The BBC said it will be “an unrivalled portrait of a man with a unique place in royal history – by those who knew him best”.

The BBC said last month that it was looking at “lessons to be learned” after its coverage of Philip’s death drew a record number of complaints.

Nearly 110,000 people objected to the corporation’s decision to clear its schedules across both channels to run a series of mirrored special programmes, making it the most complained-about piece of programming in its history.

Leave a Reply