China ‘subjected Indian teenager to electric shocks’ after abducting him from disputed border

Archbishop Jerome Lloyd OSJVPosted by

The allegation risks a further hike in tensions between the two nuclear armed superpowers

China ‘subjected Indian teenager to electric shocks’ after abducting him from disputed border
India's Tezpur-Tawang highway that runs to the Chinese border, in the northeastern Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh
India’s Tezpur-Tawang highway that runs to the Chinese border, in the northeastern Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh CREDIT: Frank Jack Daniel/Reuters

An Indian teenager abducted by Chinese troops from inside Indian territory has said he was subject to electric shocks while in custody, risking a further hike in tensions between the two nuclear armed superpowers.

Miram Taron, 17, said he was abducted by a group of Chinese soldiers on January 18, while he was out hunting in forest near the Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh’s border with China.

China has made no secret of the fact that it considers Arunachal Pradesh part of South Tibet and it has begun asserting its superior military power by constructing settlements across the border. 

“They tied up my hands and took me deep into the jungle. On the first day, they tortured me; gave me electric shocks,” Mr Taron told Indian media on Wednesday. He was returned to India after nine days in Chinese custody.

A MP from India’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) said that Chinese troops abducted Mr Taron from three miles inside Indian territory.

Picture of Miram Taron shared on social media
Picture of Miram Taron shared on social media

Arunachal Pradesh’s border in the north-west is not the only disputed territory between China and India.

In 2020, soldiers from both countries engaged in brutal hand-to-hand combat in the north-eastern Indian border state of Ladakh, resulting in the deaths of at least 20 Indian soldiers. At least 20 square miles of Indian territory was also seized by Chinese troops.

While peace talks are ongoing they remain inconclusive and relations between Beijing and New Delhi are at their worst since the two countries agreed a ceasefire to end a month-long conflict in 1962.

On Thursday, the Indian government announced its delegation would not attend the upcoming Winter Olympics opening or closing ceremonies in Beijing after China decided to use a soldier who had been injured in the clash with Indian soldiers in Ladakh in its torch relay.

Amidst growing a growing public outcry, New Delhi said it was “regrettable” that China has chosen to politicise the sporting event.

Leave a Reply